A night nurse's adventures in fitness, eating well, and maintaining sanity while becoming a successful RN.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Olympic Fever

There's no doubting I'm obsessed with the Olympics. I started my Olympic Countdown in January, watched the Track and Field Olympic Trials on repeat in June, and have placed the Olympic Event schedule in the "favorites" section of my Internet browser. I unfortunately am not an Olympic athlete which means I have to partake in my "big-girl" job and miss many events, but you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll be catching up with the days' events as soon as I get home.

There is just something so thrilling and inspirational about the Olympic Games. Seeing the country's best athletes give it their all makes me so proud to be an American. But not only that, seeing every single athlete, no matter what country they are from, dig deep and pull out unbelievable performances, makes me proud to merely be human.

I love the underdog stories, like Johnny Orozko from the Bronx, who battled financial difficulties, injuries, and family illness, to make it to the London Olympics. Then there's the record breaking performances, like the snapping of a 12 year medal drought in synchronized diving by both men AND women. Kelci Bryant and Abby Johnston won silver in the women's competition while the men's team made up of Nick McCrory and David Boudia followed up with a bronze! Skeet shooter Kim Rhodes made history by winning gold after hitting 99 out of 100 clay targets. Yep, you read that right. She missed one, ONE target out of 100!! I don't know much about skeet shooting but I'm pretty sure that's insane. Oh yeah, it's a world record too. She not only was nearly perfect, she became the first American to win individual medals in five straight Olympic games (her first being in 1996 when she was 16). Her response to her performance, "maybe next year I'll go for all 100." No big deal.

Kim Rhodes celebrates after winning gold

And then there are the youthful phenoms. 15 year old Ruta Meilutyte from Lithuania won gold in the 100 meter breaststroke (which is super hard by the way, my husband and I tried this stroke out at his parents' pool the other day.... we failed miserably. I'll stick to my doggy-paddle/freestyle combo). And of course, the American sweetheart, 17 year old Missy Franklin who won gold in the 100 meter backstroke. Not only is she an unbelievably good swimmer, she is humble, always smiling, and looks like she is having so much fun!



Missy Franklin is all smiles after receiving her medal

Since I don't think I will be making a run at an Olympic medal anytime soon (or ever, I mean, let's be serious), I will continue to live vicariously through all these people. I will rejoice when they rejoice, cry when they cry (which has been a lot, Kleenex can be sure they will stay in business thanks to me), and let them inspire me to get my butt off the couch and go do something..... once the games are over, though, I don't want to miss a single cheer-worthy moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment