A night nurse's adventures in fitness, eating well, and maintaining sanity while becoming a successful RN.

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Ab Challenge Part 2

As much as I would love to consider my greatly-enthused cheering from the couch during the Olympics this past week a workout, I realize that well defined abs and strong legs don't develop via osmosis. (How cool would that be though...) So, staying on track with my 30 Day Ab Challenge, I've been dutifully crunching and  planking away these past few weeks.

I shared the P-90X ab ripper workout earlier, but I am one of those goofy workout people who like to mix things up. So instead of doing the same routine day after day, I've been infusing a few other ab workouts into my routine. Here is a killer one from the one and only Cosmopolitan magazine. I like to check out their "Fit in 6 minutes" article each month. The claim is the workout will only take you 6 minutes.... however I have yet to find one that is that quick. They are usually pretty darn hard and I occasionally find myself muttering some words that require #'s and *'s when written in sophisticated writing. Nonetheless, I feel the burn and that's just what I love. So what I'm trying to say is... "try it!" It very well may take more than 6 minutes but it's totally worth the extra time!

The Tummy Toning Trainer

**Do 30 of each of these. For the ones that involve using one leg at a time, do 30 on each leg.**

1. Sit on the edge of your chair with your left leg crossed over your right. Rest your right arm on the back of the chair, and extend your left arm straight up. Life your leg out to the side at hip height with your shoelaces facing out. Lower your left arm to the side (palm facing down) so that you are crunching your obliques. That's one rep, do 30 on each side.

2. Lie on your back, gripping the legs of a chair behind you. Lift your feet 6 inches off the floor. Tighten your abs to pull both legs in, bending your knees and keeping the soles of your feet together. Complete this move 30 times.

3. Lie flat on your back while holding onto a chair and lift your right leg 90 degrees with your knee bent. Keep your left leg straight out in front of you, and raise it 6 inches off the floor. Lift your left leg up to meet your right leg, so your right ankle touches your left. Do 30 and switch legs.

4. Lie flat on your back while holding the legs of a chair behind your head with feet straight out in front of you, six inches off the ground. Lift both legs up to 90 degrees, keeping toes pointed. Lower legs straight back down to the starting position. That's one rep; repeat 30 times.


Enjoy the slow burn your abs feel during this workout! I think the chair really helps to keep your abs engaged throughout this workout. Happy crunching.


***As I'm typing this, I'm enjoying a recap of the day's Olympic events, which included the men's 3000 meter steeplechase. Fun fact: I was a steeplechaser in college... I always enjoyed distance running and my Sophomore year my coach somehow convinced me to give the steeplechase a try. Despite my nearly 5'2" stature, I thought it would be fun to say I did it once. Well, one race led to a whole season of racing. I promise you, I was no star, but definitely had a good time traversing the hurdles and water pit, complete with rubber snakes and an occasional lifeguard (played lovingly by my husband and another guy on our team). I already enjoyed a thrilling 10K earlier this week and am looking forward to being amazed by more track stars this coming week!!

American Galen Rupp and his training partner, Great Britain's  Mo Farah, react after
their silver and gold medal 10K race. Farah won the race after relocating his family to Oregon for
the past year to train. Rupp became the first American to medal in the 10K since 1964. Their finish, celebration
and genuine happiness for each other gave me goosebumps! I LOVE THE OLYMPICS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment